Agile Project Manager
Harvard Business Review Brighton, MA10d ago
The Senior Agile Project Manager will focus on taking our teams to the next level of Agile maturity and continuous learning.
The Senior Agile Project Manager is responsible for supporting, training, coaching and mentoring Agile teams on how to achieve a high level of performance and quality in delivering projects that provide exceptional business value. The ideal candidate is passionate about the Agile movement and the value that it brings to organizations.
The Senior Agile Project Manager may be responsible for several concurrent high visibility projects using agile methods in a fast-paced environment that may cross multiple business divisions. In performing that role, the Senior Agile Project Manager will be expected to use a high level of knowledge and experience with an Agile development approach. The Senior Agile Project Manager will be the independent voice in our development process, providing unbiased, candid assessments across functional teams.
- Team Management Enable and support high performing Agile teams. Lead and inspire Agile teams to self-organize, learn, and adapt, with the goal of delivering the highest value to our customers. Remove roadblocks to the team’s work and leverage organizational resources to improve team capacity for project work.
- Project Management – Focus on regular delivery of value; organize and facilitate project status and working meetings; manage risks and issues; and perform delivery planning for assigned projects
- Product Owner Support – Support the Product Owner in managing customer expectations for project deliverables and managing stakeholder communication; guide the PO in understanding and performing the duties of their role and ensuring they continue to build and maintain a healthy backlog
- Process Management and Improvement – Champion ongoing process improvement initiatives to implement best practices for Agile Project Management; work with key teams to clear the path and drive organizational agility, i.e. delivery, sales, marketing; communicate with and influence teams and leaders in both business and technology roles; contribute to ongoing development of project management, implementation and solution best practices
- Team Development – Promote empowerment of the team, ensure that each team member is fully engaged in the project and making meaningful contribution, and encourage a sustainable pace with high-levels of quality for the team; hands on coaching and mentoring teams to think Lean and be Agile; pilot transformation activities and provide training services.
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge of Agile principles and practices
- Ability to inspire and motivate teams to produce quality work focused on execution and delivery
- Ability to initiate change and act with integrity when tough decisions must be made
- Demonstrated ability to connect and influence others to achieve team goals
- Strong problem-solving skills – ability to take a process perspective to solving problems
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with development team leadership to balance client priorities with team bandwidth, skillsets and changing conditions
- Ability to assess project performance and communicate lessons learned to increase institutional knowledge
- Capable of facilitating (brainstorming, conflict resolutions, design sessions, etc.)
- Self-starter / able to work and lead groups independently
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence
- Proven ability to identify potential problems/outstanding tasks, and finding solutions
- A proven track record of successfully implementing software or web development projects using Agile methodologies, including 8+ years of experience as a Project Manager managing large, complex, consumer facing projects in a high-tech development environment with multi-function teams.
- Prior experience with Agile methodologies with enterprise-level application development teams and projects. PMI-ACP, CSM, or equivalent preferred
- Experience overseeing multi-function project teams, including Developers, UX resources, QA Personnel
- Balanced business/technical background
- Sufficient level of technical background to provide highly-credible leadership to development teams and to be able to accurately and objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues
- BA or BS or equivalent experience is required; MA or MS is a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high levels of stakeholder trust and confidence
- Comfortable candidly but diplomatically calling out, surfacing, and elevating issues
- Highly collaborative, prioritizing collaboration over credit, and interested in building strong relationships with peers across corporate functions
- Proven ability to lead software development projects with a focus on objectives, goals, and commitments
- Possess the ability and willingness to adapt and iterate
- Intellectually curious, with a demonstrated commitment to continuous growth
- Possess the ability to take care in building trusting environments and trusting teams
- Solid understanding of and demonstrated experience in using appropriate tools including Jira/Greenhopper, Rally, VersionOne or equivalent
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and experience interacting with both business and IT individuals at all levels including the executive level
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the “big picture” view
- Experience in e-learning or related field strongly preferred diplomatically, confidently