We’re 8020, a strategy, design, and web development studio in Victoria, British Columbia. We are looking for an Accounting Manager/Controller to lead our Financial Strategy and Accounting.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- Maintain detailed bottoms-up P&L forecast and update to reflect the latest revenue forecast, latest human capital cost forecast, cash forecast, and operating expenses
- Manage and maintain optimal accuracy of a rolling revenue forecast, including revenue from existing clients and revenue from new business/pipeline
- Manage revenue visibility and recognition process and preparation and analysis of monthly reporting (company and project level)
- Maintain detailed human capital cost forecast for all countries, including forecasting salaries, variable compensation, and payroll taxes
- Update and own various reports and dashboards after semi-monthly billing cycle and ad hoc
- Compare various P&Ls vs. budget each month and provide actionable insights.
- Contribute to strategies and recommendations to increase profitability and process effectiveness
- Assume all bookkeeping duties including maintaining accurate books on accounts payable and receivable, payroll, and daily financial entries and reconciliations (invoice processing and payment, vendor maintenance, billings, collection management, etc.)
- Manage monthly close process, including journal entries and bank reconciliations
- Reconcile bank account statements to general ledger accounts
- Maintain and contribute to new processes, controls, and reporting regarding project and financial management
- Review P&L detail to ensure revenues and expenses are accounted for appropriately
- Handle and produce month-end reporting and processes such as financial statements, budget variances, miscellaneous analysis, client profitability, and project-level reporting
- Work with account team and directly with clients to ensure new client set up, proper client billing, and reporting
- Interface with the company’s CPA on tax matters, including year-end taxes
- Exercise vigilance in understanding expenses and proactively research, discuss and propose ways to reduce expenses
- Job Type: Full-time
- Location: Remote-Friendly, PST or EST workday hours
- Languages Required: English
- Bachelor’s degree in US Accounting, International Business, or similar discipline or the recognized equivalent in education and experience;
- Must have experience and deep understanding of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS.)
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a global accounting firm specializing in US-based companies, an international digital agency with a robust American presence or equivalent background preferred.
- Possess strong administrative and computing skills, including Microsoft Office (Excel and Word), Slack, Google Workspace, etc.
- Must be analytical, organized, and detail-oriented with excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Must have a high level of problem-solving skills.
When You’ll Work
At 8020, your schedule is entirely flexible.
Where You’ll Do It
This job is remote-first. 8020 is fully remote and distributed across 8 countries. You can work from anywhere in the world, but priority will be given to those who can work in US-friendly time zones.
What Traits You Have
You’re a self-starter, disciplined, and highly communicative.
Who Will Be Prioritized
Priority will be given to those who can work in US-friendly time zones.
And as a company rule, in line with our core values, you can’t be an asshole. :)
- Workday must overlap by at least 5 hours with Victoria, BC, Canada