Where you will work:
Along the eastern border of Washington State in the heart of the Inland Northwest lies Spokane, Washington, the headquarters for Clearwater Paper. Boasting over 150 talented employees, our corporate headquarters supports Clearwater Paper’s 13 plants and mills nationwide. Functional support is provided at this location including Human Resources, IT, Finance and Accounting, and Marketing. Our employees engage in meaningful work with fellow team members who have are committed to providing a high-quality product as an essential industry.
Located on the Spokane River in eastern Washington, Spokane is in close proximity to Idaho, Seattle, and Canada. Once known as a gateway to the American West, Spokane is now an access point to amazing natural playgrounds and architectural gems. The car-free Centennial Trail, for instance, offers plenty of opportunity for running, hiking, biking, canoeing, and even horseback riding. For beautiful buildings, travelers may head to landmarks like the Riblet Mansion, the Gothic-style St. John’s Cathedral, and the 1930s-era Martin Woldson Theater at the Fox. There are several social and civic opportunities to participate in including the United Way, Girl Scouts of America, 2nd Harvest Food Bank, the Salvation Army, Tree of Sharing and more. Clearwater Paper values involvement with the community and the partnerships created as a result. Spokane offers a wide selection of prominent K-12 schools and several strong colleges such as Gonzaga University
What you will do:
Month End Closing
- Responsible for the proper accounting and month-end closing of specific sections of the general ledger.
- Maintain and reconcile balance sheet accounts.
- Participate in the monthly financial statement close and preparation of various financial statements
- Prepare and post /review journal entries in compliance with GAAP.
- Responsible for specific technical accounting areas such as fixed assets, lease accounting, equity account or others.
- Provide support for internal and external audit requests
- Assist with special projects as needed.
- Responsible for writing queries, creating reports and performing analyses of financial results.
- Prepare and review various footnotes and financial statements for 10-Q, 10-K and 11-K filings (including XBRL as appropriate)
- Research and prepare technical accounting whitepapers, as appropriate given area of specialization
Controls & Procedures
- Ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley procedures and ensure an effective system of internal controls.
- Drive continuous improvement standardization and automation of corporate accounting processes.
Key Competencies & Attributes
- Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand.
- High degree of business curiosity; quick learner with a proactive and agile mindset.
- Able to think strategically and act tactically.
What you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Targeting candidates with 4 or more years of experience in principles of accounting including detailed transactions, posting to leger, account reconciliations and analysis, etc.
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel knowledge.
- Strong accounting and analytical skills and a solid understanding of internal controls and GAAP required.
- Experience using an enterprise accounting system preferred.
- Excellent research and writing skills required.
- Excellent Communication skills and the ability to work effectively with individuals across the organization.
- General Office Conditions
- Long Periods of sitting and viewing a computer monitor
Total Reward Details:
We’re committed to providing an exceptional workplace experience, including a comprehensive total reward package. This position is eligible for our Incentive Plan. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s job-related knowledge, skills, education, and experience among other factors. Benefits are generally available after 30 days and include medical, dental, vision, life, disability coverage, employee assistance program, and a 401k plan. Paid time off will include vacation days, personal days, and company holidays.
Clearwater Paper does not offer sponsorship for employment-based visa status (including, but not limited to, H-1B visa status and other employment-based nonimmigrant visas) for this position. Accordingly, all applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis and will not require Clearwater Paper's sponsorship to continue to work legally in the United States.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)