The Account Director is responsible for overall agency service and activities on one or more account(s). Responsible for the long-term strategic direction, answering the “Why” and “What” for each account. Has bottom-line accountability for assigned accounts, including for the agency’s recommendations and performance, as well as strength of client partnership and account profitability.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
- Delivers high-value, strategically driven work for our clients.
- Provides strong leadership and strategic direction to the client/agency team utilizing sound judgment, demonstrating market/industry expertise, a thorough understanding of client’s objectives, KPI’s and long-term vision.
- Ensures the health of the client (client satisfaction and profitability to the agency) in conjunction with the Group Account Director.
- Manages formal client mapping process to broaden the agency’s purview/stature within the client organization.
- Leads the team using the R&R Way process for each assigned accounts and collaborates with various discipline leads.
- Oversees all new go-to-market plans, programs and creative to provide strategic direction; reviews and collaborates on all communication briefs and project charters collaborating with strategist and creative director.
- Gains a thorough understanding of clients’ business and industry, becomes the “subject matter expert”, keeps abreast of changes, trends and issues and shares knowledge/information with client and internal team as appropriate.
- Presents clients with business building ideas, including potential new agency products/services; ensures client perception that agency consistently provides value-added services.
- Leads the Strategic Council to set the strategic vision for the account, communicates it to cross-functional account team and ensures all agency deliverables are on strategy.
- Guides and assists development of proposals and delivery of client presentations; ensures they are dynamic, persuasive, and grounded in strategic relevance.
- Keeps senior management continually advised on major projects or changes in strategic direction.
- Prepares client case studies and provides newsworthy information to R&R self-promotions.
- Seeks business opportunities with new and existing clients; works with assigned project manager to create proposals for new work.
- Anticipates problems, surfaces them and effectively resolves issues (with specific regard to strategic direction, budget allocation, and staff issues)
- Ensures assigned staff has a clear understanding of expectations for their performance, receive frequent ongoing constructive feedback, have opportunities for learning and building new relationships, and are mentored for professional development; swiftly addresses performance issues.
- Gathers, analyzes and shares with the entire team all relevant information and insights regarding our clients’ business.
- Fosters collaboration and positive conflict resolution among team members.
- Understands and abides by the agency’s business practices and philosophies as well as understands R&R’s policies and procedures.
- Behaves as a selfless leader throughout the office/agency, inspiring and motivating the team.
- Reinforces and leads by example through R&R core values – vigilance, integrity, loyalty, drive, ingenuity, candor, accountability, tenacity, open-minded, respect
- Be a champion and student of client’s business and goals.
- Defend teams against unrealistic expectations.
- Partner with all departments to ensure all work is done on time, on strategy and on budget.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, or related field is preferred.
- This position requires demonstrated ability effectively lead multiple staff and the activity of at least one account.
- Eleven (11) years of experience in marketing in a client organization or account management in a full service agency environment preferred, including at least 5 years’ experience leading cross-functional teams and supervising direct reports.
- Demonstrated leadership ability with strong verbal, written, presentation and communication skills.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers and filing cabinets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.